Making the switch to electric radiators may bring a few burning questions to mind. Are they expensive? How hot do they get? Are they difficult to install? Another concern you may have is safety. The good news is, electric radiators are incredibly safe, needing to pass a variety of tests and certifications before being able to be sold. In fact, there are several great safety benefits to an electric system that other heating solutions, such as gas, cannot rival.
Top 5 safety benefits of electric radiators
Electric radiators are an efficient and modern heating solution for any home. Available in a variety of designs and sizes, they work well in a range of settings, where they supply comfortable and lasting warmth. As well as being undeniably kinder to the planet, there are a number of reasons why electric radiators come out top dog, even when only looking through safety goggles.
1. Increased controllability
A major safety advantage to electric radiators is their controllability. Simple, effective modern interfaces mean access to the once befuddling inner workings of your radiator are now at the touch of a button, so you can easily access a range of safety features.
- 24/7 Programming - many electric radiators offer weekly programming, which allows you to set up a 7-day heating schedule to suit your routine. Not only does this help to manage your heating, reduce bills and minimise energy waste, but it also eliminates the risk of leaving your radiators on accidentally and them overheating.
- WiFi Control - in-built WiFi connectivity allows temperature control anywhere, anytime, in a straightforward, intuitive way. If you’re out and have forgotten to switch your radiators off, this can be solved straight away from the app on your smartphone.
- Geolocation - this clever feature adjusts temperature based on your proximity to the radiator. When you move a certain distance from your property, it will automatically lower the heat. When you return, it will raise to your usual comfort setting. So, in the chance you leave your radiator on and don’t have access to WiFi, the risk of overheating will still be controlled.
- Precision digital thermostats - an accurate thermostat gives you better control over the temperature of a room, without having to worry about fluctuating heat levels. It automatically adjusts your radiator to match your preferred settings, meaning you can maintain your ideal temperature without under or overheating a space. Some electric radiators, such as the RC Wave, even come with thermostats as accurate as 0.2ºC, for ultimate temperature control.
2. Thermal Limiters
The above features all help to manage any potential risk of overheating, but an extra precaution included in many electric radiators is a thermal limiter. A thermal limiter cuts power to the radiator once it has reached a certain temperature, preventing it from exceeding safe heat levels and giving you ultimate peace of mind.
3. Low Surface Temperature Radiators
Some electric radiators, like those in the Technotherm KS TDI range, come with a low surface temperature setting (LST) which allows you to limit a heater’s maximum temperature to a lower, touch-safe level. This can often be programmed anywhere between 30 – 85°C, making it a handy safety feature for homes with young children or in NHS properties.
4. Safety ratings
All our electric radiators are CE marked, meaning they conform to general EU standards, undergoing a range of safety tests to make them suitable for sale. Many will also have IP ratings, which classify how much a radiator is protected from solid and liquid particles. IP ratings are particularly important if you are planning on putting an electric radiator in your bathroom. A radiator with an IPX4 rating, such as the Ecostrad Allora iQ, is protected against water splashes from all directions, making it suitable for installation in your bathroom as well as other areas of your home. Safety ratings act as a concrete, externally tested seal of approval on the safety front.
A warranty is a mark of quality. A manufacturer won’t promise a certain length of protection without some guarantee that the product is unlikely to go wrong within that time frame. So, purchasing a radiator with a longer warranty will most likely mean a better-quality unit with a longer lifespan. Many of our electric radiators come with lengthy warranties, such as the iQ Ceramic with its 10-year Manufacturer’s Warranty for the radiator body, and two years for its electronics.
Is electric heating safer than gas?
In many ways yes, electric heating is a lot safer than gas central heating. In fact, one of the major drawbacks of central heating is its safety risks, as it relies on the ignition of fuel to heat a boiler. This means there is always a small risk of gas leakages and carbon monoxide poisoning when using this traditional heating method. Plus, when gas radiators and boilers aren’t installed or maintained properly, those hazards become increasingly real and in some rare cases, could lead to fires and explosions. This isn’t the case with electric radiators as no ignition of fuel is necessary, eliminating the risk of dangerous fuels leaks. There’s also no need for a boiler, so you can wave goodbye to costly installation and yearly maintenance checks. Not only does this save time and money in the long run, but it is also further proof of the excellent safety credentials of electric heating.
Electric heating: a safe heating alternative
If you’re considering making the switch to a safer heating solution, electric radiators are an ideal choice. Designed with user safety at the forefront, these modern appliances offer a range of features to make heating your home safe and secure. Effortless and intuitive temperature control without needing to be close to your unit, or even your home, minimises the risk of overheating. Intelligent precision thermostats, geolocation features and thermal limiters will also continually manage this risk in the background with no additional effort on your part. By keeping an eye out for these main features, making sure your electric radiator ticks all the safety boxes is smooth sailing.