Childproofing a gas radiator may involve fitting clunky guards that are both unsightly and affect the distribution of warmth, but electric heating does away with this hassle by being designed with safety in mind. With in-built features ready to go, you can rest easy knowing that childproofing your electric radiators involves no fuss or costly extras. Some of these safety features activate automatically whenever the radiator is running; others can be initiated with just a few taps of your smartphone or through the radiator directly. Safety is just one way electric is pioneering the heating industry, so let’s explore exactly how it manages this.
Why electric heating is safer than gas
- If faulty or poorly maintained, central heating systems have been known to leak, cause fires, and even explode. The absence of gas in an electric heating system removes these risks. Oil-free electric radiators go one step further, containing no liquid whatsoever, so there's no chance of leaking or the need to bleed your radiator.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is fatal if not caught quickly enough. If you don’t have a working detector, there’s no way to measure an exposure as carbon monoxide is invisible to the senses. As electric radiators don’t burn a combustible fuel to create heat, they do away with this danger completely.
- Electric radiators don’t rely on a boiler, so you won’t come across problems such as a loss of pressure, seepages, or material/air build-up that will cause a knock-on effect to the rest of your system – this is not only a huge money-saver but removes the potential hazards caused by a malfunctioning boiler.
How to childproof your electric radiator
If you’re looking to upgrade your heating with child safety in mind, look out for electric radiators with these features:
A thermal limiter cuts power to the radiator once it has reached a certain temperature, preventing it from exceeding safe heat levels. As an autonomous feature, you don’t need to worry about having to micromanage the unit: simply get on with your day knowing the radiator’s programming is doing the tedious work for you.
Radiators with a thermal limiter:
Adjustable surface temperature
A low surface temperature (LST) setting allows you to limit a heater’s maximum temperature to a touch-safe level. Some radiators with this feature can be programmed as low as 30°C, making it incredibly useful in households with small children. Sometimes called a baby care function: when activated, the radiator will operate approximately at half the wattage, keeping the surface at a lower temperature. We know children can be clumsy sometimes; this feature allows your kids to be kids without the risk of scolds or burns when playing near the radiator.
Radiators with an LST function:
Nothing grants you more control over your heating than smart electric radiators. These heaters can be connected to your smart device through an app, giving you more ways to manage your heating and keep your little ones safe. You’re not limited to location either – access the app anytime, anywhere for on the go control.
- WiFi app control – Pair one or all of your radiators to a sophisticated heating app like the Ecostrad Ecosystem. Refined, innovative, and easy to use, WiFi app control lets you manage your heating your way. Has your baby just gone down for a nap? No need to go back upstairs and disturb them; simply access the app and set the radiator’s temperature from the comfort of your living room.
- 24/7 programming – Set up a personalised schedule to suit your family’s routine. Many smart radiators have motion and voice control, making them perfectly adaptable to the ever-changing needs of a full house.
- Zoned heating – Control the heating of your entire home individually or in zones: the radiators in your children’s play area and bedroom could be set to a completely different temperature and schedule to the rest of the house. Zones can be created and changed at any time and are a great way to prioritise certain rooms without the fuss of manual handling.
Radiators with smart control:
The Ecostrad iQ WiFi Heating Element – providing ultimate safety
Suitable for use with compatible Ecostrad designer electric radiators and towel rails, the Ecostrad iQ WiFi Heating Element offers state of the art heat management, giving you peace of mind when it comes to childproofing your home’s heating system.
- Precision digital thermostat – The iQ WiFi element comes with a room thermostat accurate to ± 0.5°C, for precise temperature control. Set your preferred temperature, and the thermostat will measure the room’s heat level – cutting power or increasing it to ensure it remains at your specification.
- Radiator mode – Radiator mode allows you to control both the internal and external temperature of your heater, with ranges as low as 30°C. Radiator mode also acts on a timer that can be organised by hourly intervals of up to 8 hours.
- Child lock – A simple but essential bit of programming: this setting will cause all keys to lock until they are reactivated, ensuring kids can’t accidentally alter the radiator’s temperature or premeditated schedule.
- Splashproof guarantee – From food spills to water splashes, the iQ WiFi element is protected from the messes of day-to-day life, so installing it to the radiators in your kitchen and bathroom is totally possible.
Childproof your home with electric heating
We understand how important it is to know your little ones are safe at home, and investing in electric heating is one way to do this. The advanced features that come with electric radiators are not only designed with your family’s safety in mind, but are a way to make heat management cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and compatible with busy modern life. Have a browse of our selection and safeguard your home with electric heating today.