Versatile, easy-to-use and highly efficient – it’s no wonder that an estimated 2.2 million households are now using electricity to heat their homes. Whilst there are many forms of electric heating, it seems that electric radiators are fast becoming a popular choice for many. This low-carbon alternative offers a range of benefits, such as excellent controllability and energy-saving features, that help reduce running costs. But when it comes to installation – just how easy is it? Let’s take our bestselling electric radiator, the Ecostrad iQ Ceramic, to see if it just ‘plugs in’ or if there’s a bit more to it.
Are electric radiators DIY-friendly?
Yes, many of our electric radiators are in fact suitable for DIY installation.
In the case of the iQ Ceramic, this electric radiator is indeed DIY-friendly. If you want your heater to be wall-mounted, this electric radiator comes with a fitted plug and all the fixtures and fittings you’ll need to successfully assemble the heater. You’ll also receive a template that shows you where to drill the holes for the brackets. Simply screw them into the wall and mount the radiator accordingly – it really is that simple. If you’d prefer the iQ Ceramic to be freestanding, simply purchase feet separately. Either way, it takes no time at all to fit your radiator to best suit the layout of your room.
Will I need a professional to install my electric radiator?
When it comes to installing electric radiators, you won’t have to worry about using heavy tools that you’re unfamiliar with. Other than a drill, extra tools and accessories aren’t necessary - we’ll provide everything you’re going to need. And because the installation process is so quick and straightforward, you won’t need to hire a professional. Most of our electric radiators have been designed to enable easy, DIY style installation, so making the switch to a more sustainable heating solution is as simple as possible.
Does my electric radiator need to be hardwired by an electrician?
This depends on the type of electric radiator you choose and how many you want to use. For example, the Ecostrad Allora vertical electric radiator will need to be hardwired by an electrician, whereas other appliances, like the iQ Ceramic, don’t require a professional hardwiring. If you’re looking at having them fitted throughout your property, hardwired installation is required to avoid overloading your ring main. For a pro, this is a relatively quick and easy job, so it won’t be long before you can start enjoying comfortable, eco-efficient warmth.
How do I install an electric radiator?
Whilst every electric radiator is different, our heaters often follow the same installation guidelines. Each radiator comes with a convenient template, two wall brackets and the exact number of screws and plugs you’ll need to get it up and running. All of our appliances are also available with a digestible, straightforward user manual, including an illustrated step by step guide that will have your heater up and running in no time.
To fit the iQ Ceramic, all you need to do is follow these three easy steps:
1. Position the template on the part of the wall where you’d like the radiator to be fitted. With a pencil, make a mark where the template tells you too and drill a place for your wall plugs.
2. Insert the plugs accordingly and fit the brackets on the wall.
3. Hook the radiator onto the brackets before firmly tightening the safety screws on top.
And there you have it – the simple way to install your very own iQ Ceramic.
Can I plug-in and go?
Once you’ve fitted your radiators DIY-style, you can simply plug them in and they’ll be ready to go – it really is that easy. However, if your system has been hardwired, plug-in installation isn’t an option as your radiators will be connected to the mains instead, allowing for a more seamless integration.
Are electric radiators easy to use?
One of the reasons why electric radiators are so popular is because of they’re so easy to use. The iQ Ceramic has functions designed to make the electric heating experience user-friendly and accessible. Here are a few convenient features it has to offer:
- App Control: as long as you have access to WiFi, you can control your heating using an app on your phone, even when you’re on the go.
- 24/7 programming: create a custom heating schedule ahead of time, to match your routine to a tee. No manual adjustment required.
- Voice Control: compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, you can simply tell your heater what to do using quick voice commands such as “Alexa, turn off heater”.
- Motion Detection: taking the guesswork out of heating your home, the radiator will automatically switch on whenever movement is detected, like when you enter the room, which makes saving energy effortless.
- Precision Digital Thermostat: accurate to ±0.5 °C, the radiator will automatically adjust your heating so it never goes above or below a fraction of your preferred temperature. The heater will achieve your ideal temperature on your behalf.
This mix of smart and automatic features create a heating system that you can easily navigate and control, helping you achieve your preferred temperature time and time again with little or minimal effort.
Browse our DIY-install electric radiators
From designer to smart, we offer a full range of contemporary electric radiators that are DIY-friendly, so you can fit them throughout your home quickly and easily. With your electric radiator, we will also include all the necessary fixtures and fittings, as well as a handy user manual, to ease your transition to electric heating.